Asbestos Roof Removal Melbourne
What is the relation between safety and old asbestos roof? The answer lies in the history of your house. Check when it was built or renovated. It was known all over Australia that from 1921, asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) were used in Australian building industry. After the World War II, the use of ACM became even more massive.
According to estimates, more than a million Australian houses were built making use of asbestos sheeting. What’s more, Australian houses contain that deadly fibre in a less visible way, such as in the eaves, in the patterned paint in the walls and ceilings, as insulation for a hot water system, and as adhesive in wet spots (especially, under linoleum flooring).
The news about an old pub, Woolshed Pub in Docklands is one of the proofs for the existence of this dangerous fibre in buildings in Australia. Friable ACM products have been widely used in industrial and commercial settings, starting the late 1800s. It was used for soundproofing, insulation, and fireproofing.
Other forms of friable material were also applied to houses and could probably still be found in residential buildings built before 1990. So, if your residence was built or renovated before 1990, the chance for the house to contain this deadly fibrous material is high.
Where are they hiding?
The extensive majority of ACMs used in residential buildings was bonded (non-friable) asbestos cement (AC) products.
- Shingles and siding (villaboard and similar)
- Exterior and interior wall cladding
- Thermal boards around fireplaces
- Water or flue pipes
Below are the friable products that might be used or found in homes, including:
- Loose fill roofing insulation (not usual)
- Fibroud rope door gaskets in wood stoves
- Low-density ACM fibre board
- Spray-on insulation or soundproofing
- Backing material on floor tiles and vinyl flooring
- Insulation on hot-water pipes, domestic heaters and stoves (for example lagging)
- Carpet underlay (not usual)
- Heat-resistant fabrics
- Textured paints, decorative ceiling coatings
- Hail or fire damaged, or badly weathered AC materials
- Brick and plaster sealants, fillers and some adhesive products
Note! When bonded AC products are excessively weatherworn, sufficiently damaged, or else deteriorated, they may become friable.
Remove old asbestos roof and keep your family safe
Testing Your Roof
In case your house was built before 1990 and contaminated by this life-threatening fibrous material, what should you do? The best thing to do is having it tested. Either you try DIY or call an assessor licensed holder. Both actions are strongly recommended.
When dealing with this silent killer, your awareness is important to keep you and your family safe from health hazards. We should be alert for its presence. The easiest way to confirm its existence is by checking the history of your building or renovation. However, if you still feel unsure, you’d better call a removalist to do early inspection and testing. The worst fact about the harmful fibre is that it is not visible to the naked eye. It has to be taken for sampling by an expert and being tested in a laboratory.
Is it safe to use DIY testing kits?
Curious to try DIY testing kits? Well, you are allowed to try, though it is not strongly recommended, but with certain warnings. First and the most important thing is you have to use PPE. PPE or personal protective equipment is safety gear or clothing that can protect you from a probable risk of exposure. The PPE that must be used are:
- Respiratory – to avoid breathing in the harmful fibres
- Overalls – to avoid the risk of bringing the fibres on clothing from the worksite
- Footwear – choose the one that is suitable for working. You can also add disposable boot covers.
Another equipment you cannot leave out are:
- Disposable bags
- Disposable gloves
- Sample label
- Step by step how to brochure
- Chain of Custody Form
You must still be cautious even though you have finished handling the toxic fibrous materials:
- Fully clean the working place, equipment, and tools once the jobs are done.
- Clean up all AC residues in the working area, and on the equipment and tools by using wet rags and mop. You can also use a vacuum cleaner.
- All materials used during the inspection process must be put in double bags and be sealed.
- Keep the debris, dust, and offcuts with water and keep your respiratory mask on.
- Don’t place the ACM waste in a regular garbage bin.
- Remove and dispose of all protective equipment.
- Take a shower and wash your body, from head to toes.
Hiring Removalist is the Best Option Ever!
If you are not unsure and the suspected ACM is more than 10 m2 in size, it would be best for you to ask a removalist to do the testing work. Moreover, dealing with this life-risking fibrous materials needs some expertise. ONE SINGLE MISTAKE during the process will lead to a more disastrous problem,YOUR HEALTH.
What happened to Irene should be a wake-up call for those who want to do a DIY attempt with this life-threatening fibrous product. The cost she has to pay for the wrong handling of ACMs is too unbearable. The price you have to pay is your own life. Therefore, leave the job to the expert, it’s no doubt the best action you can take.
Clear asbestos removal Melbourne can help you
We are here to help you ease your work. We can get you connected to local pre-screened contractors who have a valid B-class license. Our endorsed contractors offer you excellent asbestos roof removal Melbourne services at value costs.
Through Clear asbestos removal Melbourne, get satisfying asbestos roof removal Melbourne services at value prices!
If you need roof removal services, don’t hesitate to call. There are various services available for handling dangerous fibrous materials, including air monitoring, emergency repair, demolition, consultant, and soil remediation. If you contact our members, you can ask for these four services, including:
- Asbestos Removal Melbourne
- Asbestos Testing
- Asbestos Roof Removal
- Asbestos Management Plan
The contractors we endorse have experienced enough training and obtain certifications to conduct ACM-related jobs. The B-Class license they have, authorised them to do not only asbestos roof removal Melbourne works but also ACM testing. The testing will be done via a NATA approved lab. After the test, you can get a complete report to help you develop an ACM register.
The ACM register contains all information related to ACMs, including:
- Source – fixed or installed
- Type – friable or non-friable and also their condition
- Details of the locations and sources regarding to the unreachable places that may contain fibres
- Any detailed information concerning the action must be taken
All jobs will be done according to national, state and local regulations. You can expect a clean and safe result for all the services offered.
What holds you from making that phone call? Price? It is guaranteed that all prices for the services are reasonable and transparent. Don’t worry about being ordered to pay for any additional charges.
Through free quotes given from our members, you will be able to calculate the amount of money you will require to pay. One more thing!: You are able to ask not only one quote but three quotes from different contractors.
Are you ready to test and remove your old asbestos roof now? Then get that phone and call now. Our contractor members will sweep your worries away.